Can you play poker when you are sick or even have a fever?

M

Mike_25

Playing poker when you're sick? Well that depends. A mild illness or low fever probably won't slow me down none at the tables. A little germ ain't gonna stop this poker player! Once I sit down at a game, the rest of the world fades away anyway.
However, if I'm running a high fever, feeling weak or woozy, or the illness is really laying me out, then it's best for me and the other players if I stay home. Poker requires focus, quick thinking, and the ability to make good judgments. When you're seriously under the weather, that ain't always possible.

No sense in risking bad plays, mistaken bets or calls, or even fainting right out of my chair! That would likely cause a ruckus. Even if the game is going my way, it ain't worth compromising my health or the health of other players to keep winning chips.
There are always more games, but only one me. And people expect a certain standard from me at the table. If I seem “off” due to illness, it may affect how my opponents perceive me and play against me going forward.

Reputation is everything in poker. So unless we're talking a very minor bug, the only fever I want at the poker table is the excitement of the action! Good judgment is the better part of valor. My health and the action will both be better served if I rest up until I'm 100% rather than try to play through something serious. The games will keep going without me, as always. But my play won't!