Could you explain more about the fees and penalties associated with annuities?

M

Mike_25

Annuities sure know how to rack up the fees and penalties, don't they? The contracts are full of all sorts of fun little charges like early withdrawal penalties if you need your money before retirement. They'll ding you 10% of the balance maybe, just for the inconvenience. And the fees, oh the fees! Management fees, administration fees, marketing fees - annooities have a fee for every little service. They charge an arm and a leg just to manage your money each year.

I swear, the only way the insurance companies stay in business selling these things is by bleeding their customers dry in fees and penalties. The only time annuities ever really make sense is if the fees are waived or dramatically lowered. Otherwise, you're usually better off in a decent index fund where your money can actually grow without getting gouged at every turn. Annuities are a dealer's game, and the dealer always wins in the end. At least that's been my experience after losing my shirt on a couple of crummy annuities years ago. I learned my lesson the hard way!

One common fee is the surrender charge, which is a fee that is charged if you decide to cash out your annuity before the end of the term. Surrender charges can range from 2% to 10% of the value of your annuity, and they typically decrease over time.

They are too much of a problem to handle for a normal person all that crap is just launched in the market and is worked on to make people fool , if you fall for the pit you will most likely have no issues at all actually to be honest indeed in my opinion.

Back