Match-Fixing Leads to Lifetime Ban for 21-Year-Old Brazilian Soccer Player

Following an extensive match-fixing investigation into Brazilian soccer that eventually expanded into other countries, a number of players and officials will pay a heavy price. One of these received possibly the worst punishment a soccer player could imagine, a lifetime ban from the sport.

The Brazilian Superior Court of Sports Justice (STJD, for its Portuguese acronym) sentenced a former player on Monday to stay away from soccer permanently and suspended another player for two years. These were the first two sentences to athletes related to the “Maximum Penalty” match-fixing scandal that has turned Brazilian soccer upside down.

The saga initially focused on only second- and third-tier soccer in Brazil before investigators uncovered corruption across the entire sport. Evidence traced the activity to Argentina and the US, where Max Alves of the Colorado Rapids found himself on a plane back to Brazil after being released from the team over his involvement.

Even though i really see match fixing as a very terrible thing that should not been happening in the world of sports but a lifetime ban from sport is really too much as a punishment to me. Well it will serve as example to other players

Illegality has no border boundary. It is committed everywhere without restriction. I'm not surprised, matches fixing is very rampant in sports betting and that is why world sports authority like FIFA should rise up to the challenge and punish any erring offenders.

Back