Overcoming Early Struggles to Become a Winning Player

Maxwell

$Points
When I first started playing poker many years ago, I was a total fish. I lost most of my buy-ins and couldn't seem to figure out what I was doing wrong. Like many beginners, I lacked patience and discipline at the table which led to making many costly mistakes. However, I loved the game and was determined to improve.

After each session, I would review my hands and think about what I could have done better. I started reading poker strategy books to improve my understanding of the game. Over time, I began playing smaller buy-in tournaments to minimize my losses while I worked on my fundamentals. Patience was key and I vowed not to play "scared money".

As the years went by, I began to see slow but steady improvement in my game. I was making better decisions post flop and started folding marginal hands pre flop. My overall strategy became more tight and aggressive at the right times. While I still had downswings, my good play helped minimize them.

Now after many years of hard work and study, I am a winning tournament player who cashes regularly. I still have things to improve but I am proud of how far I have come from those early struggles as a weak-tight-passive beginner. For all you newcomers fighting through your early losses, keep at it. Your patience, discipline and desire to improve will pay off over time if you stay focused on progression, not perfection.

Back