Should i always shove preflop with AA or slowplay?

M

Mike_25

With a premium starting hand like pocket aces, one must weigh strategy over aggression.

While aces are certainly a strong starting hand, they also stand out as a notable pair. By shoving preflop with aces every time, astute players will take notice of your tendencies. They will call wider hoping to improve to a set or two pair, knowing aces have not yet improved.

Slow playing aces by raising 2-3 times the big blind allows your hand to retains an air of mystery. Hands that call you may assume a single pair, King Queen, or maybe a small pocket pair. This keeps more money in the pot as the flop arrives, allowing your aces to win a larger pot should they indeed improve to three of a kind.

With aces, the goal is maximizing winnings, not displaying strength. Stealth and cunning serve you better than boldness. Slow play and sizes bets are your friend. Keep aces waiting to strike.

I completely agree with you. Playing pocket aces requires the balance between aggression and deception. As you mentioned, shoving preflop with aces every time is a predictable play that not only telegraphs the strength of your hand but also reduces the potential value of the hand. Additionally, playing small ball poker and slow playing aces through moderate pre-flop raises rather than huge overbets can be a strategic move that keeps your opponents guessing about your hand strength.

By slowly building the pot, opponents can mistakenly believe they are ahead, leading them to make bigger bets or to call larger bets on later streets. This increases the pot and the potential payout of your hand at the same time. Being deceptive with aces can lure opponents into a false sense of security and encourage them to commit more chips to the pot.

In short, playing pocket aces depends on the situation and the players seated. As a player, you must evaluate the situation and decide which move is best suited to maximize your potential gains. It is crucial to keep your opponents guessing and maintain control over the pot to win it in the long run.

Some swear by pushing with aces upfront, but that strategy has its risks. Sure, it takes down the blinds, but does it win the biggest pots? A safe raise lets me see what others hold, while still keeping them in. Late position especially, I'm raising to set the trap, my aces are ready to pounce on any flush or straight draws.

In general, a common strategy is to raise with AA to thin the field and isolate weaker hands, but not necessarily shove. Shoving may scare players off, resulting in smaller pot when you could have won more. However, if you are short-stacked and need to make a move, shoving can be a good option.

Back