Should You Hit or Stay with a Hard 16 Against a Dealer's Up Card of 10?

M

Mike_25

When the dealer's up card is a 10, it is better to stay with your hard 16 most times. The dealer has a high chance of busting with their down card being a 6 or more. Still, if you think the dealer likely has a low card tucked, then hitting your 16 does give you a small chance at a better total. However, to play it safe and ensure you avoid busting, I recommend sticking with your hard 16 when the dealer shows a 10. It lowers your chance of going over 21 while still giving you a decent chance to win.

Regardless of the number of decks, if the running count is 0 or higher in any game, it is advised to remain on 16 vs. dealer 10. Designed to maximize the player's advantage, this strategy is based on the Illustrious 18 Card Counting deviations.

I think according to basic strategy in Blackjack, the optimal play would be to hit a hard 16 against a dealer's up card of 10. This is because statistically, hitting gives you a better chance of improving your hand and winning the round.

The running count may influence the choice in the context of card counting. In the example above, it is advisable to hit if the running count is negative, and to stay on 16 against a dealer's 10 if the running count is positive.

The running count may influence the choice in the context of card counting. In the example above, it is advisable to hit if the running count is negative, and to stay on 16 against a dealer's 10 if the running count is positive.
I think In the context of card counting, the running count is the sum of the point values assigned to the cards that have been dealt so far in a blackjack game. The point values are typically assigned as follows: +1 for cards valued 2 to 6, 0 for cards valued 7 to 9, and -1 for cards valued 10 to Ace.

Back