How long did it take you to become a good poker player?

M

Mike_25

It didn't happen overnight though, I can tell you that. When I first started, I lost money constantly, trying to play above my limits. The only thing I improved at was going broke faster! I had to accept I still had a ton to learn before I'd be considered even semi-professional.

That's when I started really focusing on my thought process. I'd review every hand after the game ended, thinking through all the options and different ways things could have played out. Some nights I'd be at the card room for 6-8 hours just processing hands in my head. It was boring as hell, but so valuable. Within 6 months, my game had transformed.

Some of the biggest strides came from getting coaching, even if just for a few spots here and there. I was probably the least likely candidate for lessons in some card rooms, but any advice from the crushes could help. There was one old pro who used to give me clues without me even asking. Just a comment on a marginal call that gave me an "aha!" moment. I made sure to always show my appreciation for spots like that.

Limit hold'em is what I built my whole game around. Once I mastered smaller games, cashing frequently, I started moving up limits gradually, never skipping more than two at a time. Pacing yourself up the stakes the right way lets you gain experience at each level before moving on. My limit skills formed the foundation to eventually playing no-limit, which took years of work in itself.

Luck and talent only go so far. The brutal truth is, everyone has moments of both at the table. Successfully navigating variance comes from discipline and strategy, practicing those skills repeatedly under pressure. That kind of winning . mentality doesn't happen overnight.

It's been an long road, filled with lessons learned the hard way and triumphs savored. But the memories of struggling as a young player, hungry to improve, keep me humble. Grateful for my wins, but still chasing that same drive. At its heart, the life of a pro poker player is battle, adapting to remain competitive against those always seeking to master what I once did. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I believe Becoming a good poker player takes time, dedication, and practice. Some professional players have been playing for decades and continue to improve their skills. It's crucial to study the game, understand the rules, learn strategies, analyze your mistakes,

Back