How do you play medium to low suited one-gap and two-gap connectors?

M

Mike_25

Suited connectors of gaps 1 and 2, such as 7-8s or Q-Jd, present opportunity with measured risk. They play well in multi-way pots where your low end may improve, but their high card is still vulnerable. As with all marginal hands, position and the aggressiveness of opponents determine how keenly I would pursue such a hand.

Early position with these, I may call a small raise to see a cheap flop, hoping to hit my suit or improve to two pair/flush potential. Middle/late, a raise is more likely to induce a call from a weak hand, increasing the prize pool should I hit. However, any sizable 3-bet risks too much of the pot odds and these connectors should fold.

Every hand is calculated, weighed for odds and opponents. These types of connectors warrant a call, not a battle, but may flop into a king pot. The possibilities of poker keep life interesting at the tables, even for a pro such as myself! The key is calculating risk vs. reward seamlessly, as in life.

Suitable connectors differ greatly from one another. Concentrate on playing medium to low suited connectors, such as 8-7 suited, 7-6 suited, or 6-5 suited, that have the potential for straight draws and flush draws. These hands have a higher likelihood of producing powerful, well-hidden hands after the flop.

Back